Thursday, April 19, 2012

1,000 awesome things

Recently, I have been spending a lot of time on Neil Pasricha's blog 1,000 Awesome Things because I am such a true believer that life is all about the little things. Sometimes either the smallest thing can get me very upset, or could make me so very happy. It's amazing how life works, and we are so caught up in this busy lifestyle that we never just slow down and take a breath of simplicity.


One of the simple gestures I find fascinating in life is a simple smile. When I was living in Montreal, I remember walking down the street one day in the city (which everyone walks in that city) and realizing how lonely I felt. I was surrounded by so many people, but they were all strangers just passing by. Everyone was either on their iPhone or staring at the ground as they walked by me. Now after moving to Ottawa, almost every time I walk down the street surrounded by people, someone always passes by and says "hi", or simply looks me in the eyes and smiles. You wouldn't believe how much better I feel just by receiving a simple smile. I'm not going to lie, at first, it was so weird to me. I thought, 'do I know you?' Now, I make sure to always smile at people or even say "hi" and a quick "how's it going". Trust me, that goes a LONG WAY in life!

Check out Neil Pasricha's Ted Talk: The 3 A's of awesome


No comments:

Post a Comment